2016 Listing Presentations – Always Carry a Yellow Pad
A common misconception held by even successful agents is that “more is better.” For example, the more data you bring, the more impressive you are to your clients. The more marketing material you bring to a presentation, the better.
The truth is, less is more, unless of course, you don’t really know what you’re doing. If that’s the case, it’s a good idea to bring everything including the kitchen sink. That’s when the cliché; “If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with BS,” comes into play.
So what are the most important sales aids you can bring to a presentation?
- Your Personality and/or Charm
- Your Knowledge and/or Intellect
- Your Willingness to Listen
- A Blank Yellow Pad or White, If You Prefer
Notice that only one of the sales aids requires the use of your hands. So why is a blank pad so important? Consider the following:
- Taking notes shows that you care.
- You can record valuable information such your client’s “hot button” or motivation.
- A blank pad is not intimidating to anybody so the seller is not encouraged to put their defenses up.
- It gives you the ability to engage your seller and present strong arguments that don’t appear to be preconceived or “canned.”
Many agents make the mistake of coming to a presentation with all the answers, yet they never take the time to even ask the questions. What could be more offensive to a potential seller than that? The reverse can also be true. How many times have you seen professionals that have come to meetings to discuss important matters, and showed up without a pen or something to write on? These unfortunate souls have no idea how unprofessional they look to their prospects and clients. Fortunately, a true professional like you, knows that the first physical item they will bring to a presentation will be a blank yellow pad.
Always remember the golden rule of sales: “KISS” or Keep It Simple Salesman (or some people say stupid).