#3 The Best Advice You Will Ever Get
We’ve all heard the expression “Life is measured in inches not miles”. Most people don’t realize that it’s not the big decisions we make that shape our lives, rather it’s the cumulative effect of all the little decisions we make. For example, taking the small step every day of “rainmaking”, or prospecting, by:
- Picking up the phone
- Seeing someone face to face
- Mailing or even e-mailing clients and
This habit may not pay off immediately or today, but it will have a profound impact on how successful you are the rest of this year and in years to come. The same holds true for all of the small decisions we make every day.
So, how do you determine what to do every day and what you want to accomplish this year? Here’s the best advice you will ever get;
- First, before you decide what to do, ask yourself, “Where do I want to be in 10-20 years?”
- Second, ask yourself, “How will this decision affect me over the next 10-20 years?”
- If what you’re doing right now isn’t going to work well for you long term, then, don’t do it, period!
Use this approach in every area of your life and business.
- “If I don’t begin to prepare for retirement by saving money now, where will I be in 10 years?”
- “If I don’t take care of my health, will I suffer the consequences in 10 years?”
- “If I don’t take time out to enjoy myself this week, will I be disappointed or unhappy with my decision to focus only on work in 10 years?”
- “If I don’t focus on 20% activities every day, will I be disappointed in my lack of success in 10 years?”