In the past six months, many markets throughout Florida have experienced a significant turnaround in real estate market conditions. Even in the historically slow summer months, for some markets activity has remained strong. Successful agents are encouraged to recognize that this very same activity could be a bellwether for difficult times ahead. Agents that are not going all out prospecting for listings right now, are likely to struggle looking for income opportunities next year.
As always, listings will drive business. In the near future, as existing listing inventory is depleted, many agents will become desperate to secure more inventory. Unfortunately for them, it will be too little too late, and they will find themselves competing against agents willing to cut commission and promise the world just to get listings.
You don’t have to be one of these agents! Make it a point every day, from now until the end of the year, to put yourself into a “listing frenzy.” Every day, ask yourself, “what will it take to get another listing this week?” Some suggestions of other questions that will help are as follows:
- Am I conducting open houses to meet residents in my farm that are considering selling their home?
- Have I been in contact with my past clients, advocates, and sphere of influence?
- Have I dropped by to visit homeowners that have let their listings expire?
- Have I set up an email campaign to contact FSBO that have their properties posted online?
- Do I have a 24-touch mailing campaign for my farm area?
- Have I contacted busy agents and offered to co-list lower price properties with them because they don’t’ have time to do it themselves?
- Have I attended a garage sale to meet the owners who are having the sale in preparation for selling their home?
- Have I considered going door-to-door to homeowners if they know of anybody that’s thinking about buying or selling?
- Have I researched county tax records to identify multiple property owners that I can contact to find out what their next steps are with their real estate holdings or investments?
There are literally dozens of other ways to prospect for listings. You may not realize it now, but if you don’t begin preparing for success next year this week, you may find yourself chasing your own tail because you waited too long. A listing frenzy now, will lead to great success in 2013!