A typical bar scene:
A guy walks into a bar, spots a pretty girl, and decides to take the shot. The guy walks up to the girl and uses the following line, “hey babe, I’m not a genie, but I can make your dreams come true!” The gal rejects the guys advances. Even though the guy gets an ‘A’ for effort for taking the shot, he crashes and burns because of a bad pick-up line.
Real estate agents face the same challenges as the guy in the scenario above. The majority of real estate agents never get lucky because they never take the shot. It’s a given that 50% of the solution to succeeding in real estate is taking the shots. The other 50% involves technique, strategy, and presentation. So, what’s a good line for a real estate agent to use to build rapport in a social situation? Consider the following points:
- When you meet somebody you don’t know, get to know them by asking about their:
- For the purposes of real estate messages, the most important questions will involve asking them about their occupation. A common courtesy dictates that they ask you what you do.
- You introduce yourself as a real estate advisor and ask if they live in the area and for how long.
- Ask the prospect if they’re aware of the dramatic changes that have occurred in the real estate market recently.
- Share with them how recent trends have directly impacted their situation.
- Let them know that you do extensive research on the market to track trends in value as a courtesy for your clients and offer to share that information with them if they’d like to receive it.
- Ask them for their best email address or business card. Caution, giving them your business card without receiving one in return does not work.
- An alternative approach would be when discussing real estate market conditions, refer to a published fact or specific article by asking them if they happened to see the great article in the publication and offer to email them a copy.
Keep in mind that the goal or objective is not to buy or sell anything, it’s to build rapport with a new contact.