Prospecting – The Golden Rule: Take the Shots!
One of our favorite business expressions is, “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take!” If you apply this basketball concept to business, it basically means you can’t be successful unless you take some risk by giving it a shot. Quite often agents are amazed at just how lucky other agents are when they stumble into just the right person that ends up buying or selling with a quick close. In reality, it’s most likely that the lucky agent took a shot, and it worked!
Let’s look at some ways you can take some shots that can help you be successful.
- You need more listings so you take the shot by knocking on doors and asking residence if they know of anybody that is thinking about moving.
- You have a listing that isn’t selling. You take the shot by asking for a price reduction and getting it. You take another shot by sending an e-blast to agents who have buyers for the neighborhood, and another shot by conducting an open house on a Sunday afternoon. Finally, every time a prospect walks through the door at the open house, you ask if you can show them the unique features about the home.
- A million dollar listing expires. You take a shot by picking up the phone and calling them to ask if they’re still thinking about moving.
- Knowing that most agents don’t like to do extra research, you take the shot by compiling a list of every listing that has expired in the past year and you cross-check and delete any that have relisted or sold and then take multiple shots by mailing numerous marketing pieces to this group until they tell you to stop sending information or call you and ask you to come by and discuss the listing.
- You take a shot by contacting a buyer you haven’t spoken to in many months.
- At a social meeting you have many discussions about real estate with many people. You take a shot with each person by offering to send them market updates and asking for their email addresses.
- You have your best month ever! Take a shot by asking your Broker/Owner to pay for extra marketing material to some of your sphere.
- Your most difficult seller asks you to cut your commission during negotiation after expensive time and effort has been made on your part. You’re not offended because you immediately recognize that your seller is just taking a shot.
- Another seller wants you to spend a lot more money on print media that you know won’t work. You take the shot by preparing media costs and suggesting your seller pay the expense.
- You have a database of 500-1,000 people you rarely contact. You recognize that your name must be in front of them at least twice a month or you could miss opportunities. You take the shot every couple of weeks by identifying something unique and appealing to share with your database and sphere of influence.
If you can practice day in and day out living the golden rule by identifying all the different ways you can take the shots, your business will explode and you’ll never again struggle to secure your next closing. Ask yourself, “how many shots did I take today and how am I going to take more shots tomorrow?”