Why People Do Business with You
We’ve all known agents that don’t appear to know very much yet they’re successful. How is it that these agents can do well without having the proper knowledge? The answer may surprise you and relate to the expression “perception is reality”. You can be terribly inefficient and lack critical knowledge, but if people perceive you to be professional, you can still make a lot of money. So why does this happen? It has to do with how people select who they want to do business with. According to numerous psychological studies, people are motivated to do business with someone based on the following:
1. Visual Input 55% – What your client sees or feels represents 55% of the reason they make the decision to work with you. These visual cues include:
• Facial expression • Posture • Touches
• Dress and grooming • Eye contact • Gestures
2. Vocal 38% – What your prospects hear comprises 38% of the reason they decide to do business with you. The way you say something may actually be more important than what you say.
Vocal cues include:
• Tone of voice • Vocal clarity • Expressiveness
3. Content 7% – It’s remarkable that only 7% of the reason your clients choose you involves what you actually know. Content includes:
• Your knowledge • Information • Data
Many agents spend the majority of their time developing their expertise but never understand the motivation behind why a buyer or seller will choose them over their competition. A trusted real estate advisor must have knowledge and expertise, but must also have an intimate understanding of the visual and vocal cues they are giving to their prospects. These cues will allow you to build trust and confidence with your clients. Remember, people don’t care what you know until they know you care.